About Me

My photo
"So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." -Isaiah 41:10. I'm just a teenager. Gimme a break.

Sunday, September 14, 2014

Listening is hard, trust me.

I have never had an experience where I hear God speaking to me, and if I ever have, I pass it off as me having a conversation with myself in my head.

Honestly, my prayer life is LACKING. It's senior year, i'm busy, and i feel horrible. This night at Lifeteen we talked about discernment and making decisions with God in the picture. It made me realize that most of the decisions I've made for my future haven't really included me praying about it or asking God if it's in the correct path for me. I mean, He made it. 
It's reminding me of a Mean Girls quote. "Well, I mean you wouldn't buy a skirt without asking your friends first if it looks good on you." So, God is your friend and your skirt is a life is a decision. Get it? In a previous post I mentioned how prayer should be more like talking to your friends instead of super formal (unless you roll that way). But, I realize it's hard to talk to someone that's not physically tangible. I can't just pick up my phone and text Jesus like "Hey man, do you think I should go to this dance tonight, or nah?" and he would respond like "Yeah sure, i'll go with you!". I wish it were that easy, I would make way less mistakes and be 100% more sure about my future. 
I'm coming up with ways to make prayer more frequent, and more like talking to a friend on a daily basis. I decided that waking up in the morning, going to bed, and praying before meals are more of like an obligatory thing (even though I have trouble remembering) and aren't like a friendlike relationship. So here are my ideas along with others that were shared with me tonight:
-Pray every time you unlock your phone
-Pray every time you touch a door knob
-Pray in the shower
-Say hello to God when you see a sunrise
-Pray when you get into a car
-Pray when you walk through a doorway
-Pray when you send a snapchat
-Pray when you post a picture, tweet, post...etc

Hopefully, these improve my prayer life and yours.



But prayer is not only about talking, but about listening to what God has to say. So always make sure your listening or keeping your eyes open. God can speak to you in many ways, including through speech, other people, music, scripture, nature, and so many that I don't even know of. Every person hears God in a different way, so pay attention!


Have a great week!
(PS I'm going to try to make these posts weekly. Wish me luck!)


No comments:

Post a Comment